Új hozzászólás Aktív témák

• Integra

titán

Ryder Notes: Un-American Activities
    by julian ryder
    Monday, July 11, 2005

Everyone really wanted to like the US GP, they really did. From what I could see the fans enjoyed it and so did (with reservations) most of the riders. However, team staff in the offices behind the pits, Dorna's TV technicians, and us subversive foreign media types spent a lot of time wondering why nothing worked. The abiding image of Friday was Yamaha team boss Davide Brivio in the media center telephoning lap times through to the pit wall for the team because the monitors in pitlane weren't working. The TVs in the pit offices started working Sunday lunchtime. The internet and phone connections in the media center worked when they felt like it. This does not coincide with the image of the USA that most of us arrived with; neither did the overflowing toilets.

Still, you don't want to hear about the tribulations of the pampered press, do you? What about the future of the event? If we take Valentino Rossi at his word, for the riders to come back without a fight there will have to be some serious work at Turn 6 and maybe some resurfacing. Turn 1 got some comment but not as much as expected.
    There was never any suggestion of the riders refusing to race, after all their representative had approved the place, and now they've raced once it will be very difficult to refuse in the future. What's happening here is that the riders realize the importance of having a race in the USA and the scary (to foreigners) information we've been given is that Laguna is the safest track in the country. They've gritted their teeth, gone through with it, and seemed quite surprised to find out they enjoyed it. The same can really be said of the rest of the paddock.

Okay, we have a few complaints but we'll only really throw the toys out of the pram if they aren't fixed when we get back here next year. Anyway, as an Englishman I am very grateful for one thing: the Italians, Spanish and the rest won't be complaining so much at Donington Park which has previously been regarded as the tackiest venue of the year. Hell, we don't even have internet access there, so it can't fail...

One thing the American GP did better than just about anywhere else was ensure the fans go to see the riders occasionally. Giving the paying fans a good deal seems to be high on the agenda of all the manufacturers and the AMA teams in the paddock. I got some really nice stickers for my office filing cabinet.

Probably the most significant pronouncement of the race came from Valentino Rossi after the event. 'I learned a lot,' he said, 'following the Americans.' That sounds like a declaration of intent to me. Jerry Burgess agreed: this is one of those tracks you need to come to once to understand. Sounds like they'll be back, doesn't it?

ENDS

...egy fecske nem csinál nyarat, viszont egy hülye százat csinál...

Új hozzászólás Aktív témák