Új hozzászólás Aktív témák

• Integra

titán

nagyon jó írás, érdemes elolvasni!!

From One V To Another: Chris The V On RC211 The V
    by stephen scharf
    Monday, October 17, 2005

Editor's note: Soup's Stephen Scharf hung around Chris Vermulen for a day at Phillip Island to get an idea as to how Chris the V's first day on a MotoGP bike went. He filed this story.

Chris Vermeulen is riding this weekend at the Polini Australian Grand Prix at Philip Island for the Camel Honda team, standing in for an inured Troy Bayliss.
    Vermeulen describes what it was like coming to grips with a MotoGP bike for the first time. The following is a transcript of an interview with Vermeulen conducted by a number of the MotoGP press after his first practice sessions.

Chris Vermeulen, after the first morning practice:

''That felt strange, I'll tell you that much!''

''It wasn't the handling characteristics of the Camel Honda so much, but just the power delivery that took a bit of getting used to. But the main thing was that I felt comfortable on the bike, which was the major aim of the session. Besides changing the gear lever around, I didn't really play around with this bike too much. And the carbon brakes felt good, too. I am enjoying this MotoGP caper already, and I can't wait for Sunday to come around.''

After the afternoon session, Chris had more expound on the bike:

''I'll be happy as long as we can improve every session. I'm just learning a lot and having a lot of fun. You can do a lot more with this bike (than the Superbike). It's an easy bike to ride, but I have a feeling it may be hard to go fast on.''

Vermeulen commented on the differences compared to his Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR World Superbike:

''The delivery on the RC211V is very different, and I found on the straight it just keeps going. The superbike is probably a lot more aggressive in the lower gears. We have the same horsepower all the way; there's no engine management system. But these things have more power and put it out a better way. The power comes in earlier, and you've got another 3,000 rpm to deal with. The RC211V is a lot more rigid, but it's also a lot more nervous when the wind get a hold of it down the front straight. You carry a lot more corner speed on the MotoGP machine.''

Chris also described what it was like to ride with carbon brakes for the first time:

''They are strange! The first time I went into Honda (turn four) there was nothing, and I thought I wa going to go straight ahead. But gradually they got better.''

Vermeulen described that riding the MotoGP bike wasn't all that easy: ''I'm trying quite hard out there, but I'm trying to be smooth as well and take a lot in. We improved one second from the morning session, so if that keeps up, we'll soon be the quickest; I don't expect that to happen, though. I hope I can improve all the time. Vermeuelen elaborated on where he needs the improvement, ''Mainly in braking and corner entry points. That's probably where I was losing out the most.''

Regarding his qualifying position, Vermeulen was positive and upbeat:
    ''It's never where I want to be because I'm a racer and want to do better. But I think we did reasonably well for a first day. We've been learning a lot about the bike and making it better for tomorrow. I used pretty base settings on the Honda and standard tires from Michelin. It's been good, but the main difference has been with the front—it's very rigid and hard to get feeling out of. The back tire is much easier to get feel and control—we are a making progress with them.

Vermeulen improved his lap times considerably on Saturday. ''It's fantastic to ride with this team and this bike. We made improvements in every session starting out at 1:34 and ending up at 1:31. I think it is a good margin in four hours and I'm delighted with it. We're working well together and I am also getting on with the Michelin engineers. The qualifying tires offer incredible grip and even though I didn't make the most of them I still enjoyed myself using them. So tomorrow I hope to be able to improve my times even further and lap at a constant rhythm. My aim is to finish in the points and as close to another Honda rider as possible.'' Vermeulen qualified 14th, the same classification as Friday's practice sessions, but he was able to lap at almost two seconds faster. His final qualifying time was a 1:31.654.

For this special event, Chris had his family here with him, including his parents. They are renting a house in Cowes, the biggest town on the island, and the whole family is here except for a couple of sisters. Philip Island is a favorite circuit with all regular MotoGP riders and Vermeulen is no exception in his fondness for the track. Vermeulen said his favorite corners are the ultrafast Turn one and the quasi-Corkscrew -like Lukey Heights.

ENDS

...egy fecske nem csinál nyarat, viszont egy hülye százat csinál...

Új hozzászólás Aktív témák