* added "upscaling refinement" settings page for upscaling post processing
    * added FineSharp to source enhancement and upscaling refinement
    * added LumaSharpen to source enhancement and upscaling refinement
    * added SuperRes to upscaling refinement
    * added chroma upscaling option "activate SuperRes filter"
    * added Shiandow's deband algorithm
    * removed chroma image doubling options
    * fixed some 64bit stability issues
    * fixed crash when two madVR instances had the same parent (DVBViewer BiB)
    * fixed one potential DXVA decoding freeze
    * trade quality option "lose BTB and WTW..." is disabled by default now
    * added SettingsSetBoolean("FinalizeOnWMClose") option
    * (un)install.bat now complains if you don't run them as admin
    * (un)install.bat now doesn't try to install madVR64 on a 32bit OS, anymore

Many many new features and options for you guys to play with - enjoy!

Some random comments:

1) The Direct3D11 presentation path seems to work very well for me, maybe even better than the D3D9 presentation path. Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you. I've noticed that on my PC the D3D11 path seems to react a bit faster when switching between windowed <-> exclusive mode. Also it has two advantages: First of all, it allows native 10bit output (see below). Secondly, in FSE mode D3D11 allows me to skip some VSyncs without having to present a frame, while still being able to present frames in advance. Which means that GPU performance in D3D11 FSE mode should be slightly better compared to D3D9, if you have a display refresh rate which is higher than the source frame rate.

2) Now native 10bit output is supported. Interestingly, my JVC projector looks bad with 10bit output, it looks much better with 8bit output. My LCD monitors look fine with 10bit output, though. So this may vary from display to display. AFAIK, most displays today do *not* have a native 10bit panel yet. So in many cases it is possible that you'll get a better image quality outputting dithered 8bit from madVR. But let your eyes be the judge.

3) I've decided to offer sharpening in two different places: In the "processing\image enhancements" page. This page applies sharpening to the source video, when it is still in its original resolution. And in the "scaling algorithms\upscaling refinement" page. The algorithms on this page can be run during/after upscaling. The general idea is that there are 2 different causes of blurred video: Either the original source is already soft/blurred. In that case it makes sense to sharpen the original sources. This will vary from source to source, though. The other cause of soft/blurred video is if you upscale. The larger the upscaling factor, the blurrier the result. So my thinking is that it makes sense to apply a certain amount of sharpening as part of the upscaling process to make sure that upscaling doesn't make the image blurrier than it originally was.

4) All the algorithms in the "upscaling refinement" page can be applied either just once, after upscaling is done. Or alternatively you can tell madVR to upscale the video in multiple steps, each one with a 2.0x scaling factor, and to apply upscaling refinement after each step. This makes sense because all the refinement algorithms work better that way. They are less effective if you run them after e.g. a 4.0x upscaling.

5) Please note that currently there are tons and TONS of options. This definitely is overkill and needs to be cleaned. This is a task we have to work on together. For each algorithm I'd like to define max 3 options (e.g. low, mid, high) and that must be sufficient. Otherwise the sheer amount of options will shy new users away.

-------

Now I need FEEDBACK from you guys. But since there are so many new features/options, it doesn't make sense to just collect feedback from everyone about everything. That just wouldn't work well. So please allow me to coordinate testing and feedback:

I would like to start with evaluating the new "DEBAND" algorithm written by Shiandow. Please could you guys try it with your various sources and let me know how it compares to madVR's other debanding algorithms in terms of quality and performance? Based on your feedback I will either remove the new algorithm again, or I will replace one or multiple of the old options with the new one. I want to end up with only one Deband option with max 3 different settings. Your feedback is very welcome - thanks!
    madshi is online now Reply With Quote

Új hozzászólás Aktív témák